Aggressive behavior in various living creatures is something that cannot be avoided, as various organisms tend to be at loggerheads with almost anything when feeling uncomfortable. Aggressive behaviors are often triggered, as they don’t just come due to reflex actions.
When living organisms get aggressive, conflicting behavior also come into play, as a sort of defensive mechanism. Violent conduct is not only harmful to the environment, as you can also hurt yourself physically, and mentally.
An organism’s mental strength varies from others as they are different living organisms in this planet, and hurting it could prove fatal, as the cognitive health of various animals cannot handle certain things.
Dogs are very awesome creatures. This rate at which various pet owners own a dog, is larger compared to their other animal counterparts, as many people see this creature as best of friends.
From various activities like Guarding, sporting, hunting, courier jobs, warfare, housekeeping etc, these canine creatures are very essential in man’s livelihood, as they take care of many activities.
What To Do With A Dog That Bites Its Owner
Dogs are living creatures, and this means that they also have physical, mental, and emotional factors that dictate how they normally behave. Various pet owners are adviced to look into these factors and decide what’s best for their dog.
The relationship with most pet owners and their dogs flows well on a normal basics, but at times, they might get very aggressive and resort to archaic methods, like biting, scratching etc. When your dog is in this mode, it is very essential to know why it got pissed to this level, and also find ways you can prevent it from getting aggressive.
Dogs are loyal creatures and respect their owners, it is very hard to see one knowingly attack it’s owner, but at times, things like these happen. There are some cases of dog owners, being bitten to death by their dogs, and most times wounded.
Even as these animals are appealing and beautiful in every way, they can also be very violent in nature. Knowing how to manage them when they get violent and start biting is something every dog owner should learn.
Read This – Do Pomeranians Bark A Lot
Why Do Dogs Bite
Apart from chewing feed, which the teeth of various dogs are modified for, these animals use their teeth the same way most humans use hands. Dogs are vertebrates, but not primates. Primates possess digit hands for clasping and grabbing, and dogs cannot grab stuff. Biting in dogs is something that is common, because they don’t actually bite only living organisms, but also other things for reasons like balance.
And you should know that a dog normally bites when it gets provoked. The only time it bites when not provoked to is if it is ill. So it is very essential to take your dog to the vet doctor for checkups first, if you notice your dog getting very aggressive.
It is very hard to know what your dog is thinking, because we don’t actually speak the same language, as they might get even more irritated at you when you continually do stuff they don’t like. So you will just hear them snarl, or maybe bite you in a bid to draw your attention.
Dog owners who stop whatever activities they do to try to understand why their dog is in a foul mood, tend to be good dog owners. In fact, that is the first step to becoming a dog behaviorist, because you start studying the dog to know more things about it.
- Dogs also bite for reactive purposes. Stress is something every living creature dislikes. It puts your body system in the worst possible state and keeps you tired and lacking energy. Stress can make any thing angry and pissed. Humans normally take out their stress on other things, and whatever thing it is, the outcome is always not good. Dogs are also the same way, as it will not hesitate to growl at and bite even it’s owner when overly stressed.
- Dogs may also bite to defend and protect itself and it’s territory. Nothing likes having an invaded space, ad it reduces comfort. The territory of .any animals, is something they take very serious and breaching it’s landmark could prove eventful and dangerous to you. Dogs are territorial creatures, and unless you are allowed it will definitely attack anything that crosses it’s territory.
- Dogs may also bite because of fear or fright. Whenever a dog feels threatened, they tend to take various measures to ensure that they are safe. Since their teeth is their only portable weapon, they normally use it as a tool for attack. In fact anything can turn dangerous when fear kicks in, because their mind gets tuned to the ultimate model for survival. Dogs are no different, as they will not hesitate to sink their teeth into who and what ever triggered the fear.
- Dogs also bite to protect their valuables. Their tool, and playthings are stuff that are very important to these creatures, so touching it inappropriately, is touching them inappropriately.
- You should also know that various dogs, nip and bite during play. This act is normally not harmful and is fun for the dog, but it could also be harmful and dangerous for various humans. When the dog gets overly excited, they tend to do this, so you should be watchful and know when to stop that activity before things start getting out of hand.
How To Get Rid Of Biting In Dogs
Some people tend to beat up their dogs when it bites without know why it did so. This is the worst thing you can ever do in this scenario, as you will only increase the aggressive scale of that mutt. Beating up your dog by kicking, hitting, or flogging it, is very cruel, and you could get sued for it.
We talked about stress as a trigger for biting in dogs, hitting your dog would only leave it exposed to stress, and it would only make your dog more stubborn. You should also know that resorting to hitting that dog would make it very difficult for it to trust you, and it would cause many problems later on.
There are many other recommended way you can stop your dog from biting and they are;
Making sure your dog is well trained is one thing you have to do to ensure that it doesn’t bite. Good training will ensure that your dog learns lots of things and give it more self control. If you cannot perform training sessions with it because of work or lack of experience, you can employ the services of a dog trainer as they are well versed in that field. Trained dogs are more stable mentally and emotionally, and this will make them control more issues perfectly.
This is another way to make your dog less aggressive. Some dogs are not used to seeing certain things, people, animals etc, and this makes it feel everything is a threat.
Taking your dog for walks out in a park, station etc will make it get familiarized with seeing a wide variety of things, and this will make it more tolerant to certain things and people. For example, if your dog is seeing a crippled man for the first time, it would seem very odd and weird to it, but constantly seeing them, won’t make it much of a big deal.
Study your dog well
Always be observant and watchful, to know when your dog starts showing aggressive tendencies, as this will help in knowing reasons why it gets aggressive. People who are very observant, when it comes to their dogs hardly complain of things like dog bites. Studying your dog makes it easier to train it, and also possible to reduce aggressive behavior in various dogs
Use a leash
Making use of a leash will also reduce the biting tendencies of your dog as it makes it easier to control it. To ensure that your dog doesn’t start attacking people when it starts acting all berserk and triggered in public, a leash is the best option, as you can just tie it down somewhere.
As an owner, it is very essential that your dog trusts you. Your dog should see you as a friend and father, this will make it follow your order with ease, and there are many ways to do so. Taking your dog out for walks, playing with it, giving it treats, sending it on errands, amongst other things, are ways you can strengthen the bond between you and your dog. When you do so, it will be practically impossible for your dog, “while in it’s normal mental state” to bite you or disobey you to bite others.
Related Post – When Can A Puppy Go Outside In The Garden
Dog care is something that anyone can do, and taking measures to ensure that these dogs are not a menace to the society is another task. Dogs are beautiful creatures, and with proper care and training, they could be more than that. Always make sure that your dog is comfortable and in good health and not starving as a hungry dog is an angry dog.
Leave a Reply